Wilkes-Barre, Pa – VALLEY DISTRIBUTING & STORAGE COMPANY is recruiting for a highly organized, detailed oriented, experienced Purchasing Agent. The Purchasing Agent is responsible for procuring goods and services for the warehouse, transportation and real estate industries.
VALLEY DISTRIBUTING & STORAGE COMPANY is a privately-owned third-party logistics provider with over two million square feet of warehousing space. Based in Laflin, PA, we have a proven record of service and stability, demonstrated for 60 years
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with customers and warehouse/transportation operations on new and repeat purchases.
- Develop a stable supplier base to deliver quality products and services at a competitive price.
- Ensure strict adherence from the procurement process to the accounts payable process.
- Confer with vendors to obtain product or service information, such as price, availability, and delivery schedule.
- Provide purchasing planning and control information by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data and trends.
- Prepare scope of work and bid packages.
- Review bid proposals and negotiate contracts within budgetary limitations and scope of authority.
- Maintain manual or computerized procurement records, such as items or purchased services, costs, delivery, product quality or performance, and inventories.
- Discuss defective or unacceptable goods and services with inspection or quality control personnel, users, vendors, and others to determine source of trouble and take corrective action.
- Keeps information accessible by sorting and filing documents.
- Comply with safety and warehouse operating policies and procedures.
- Supports customer, operations, and facilities management.
- Special projects as assigned.
- BA/BS in Business Administration preferred. Will consider other related fields for a candidate with relevant work experience.
- 3 plus years in a purchasing role ideally within the warehousing and distribution industry or a progressive organization with proven track record of success.
- Ability to work independently, possess time management skills and be willing to perform purchasing specialist duties on a regular basis.
- Strong PC skills that include Microsoft Office. Outlook and Excel a must. Candidate must be willing to learn proprietary software and develop custom reports.
- Excellent communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
- Able to work effectively with a wide range of personnel.
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Sound critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Veterans.